ARK: Survival Evolved Companion
I would use a grappling hook and grapple on to its behind so it can not attack you then use tranq darts or arrows and fire then when it get nocked out detach the grappling hook and use a parachute
More Quetzal Taming & KO Tips
To tame use a tapejara and use the chair button then shoot the Quatzal then let him run and once he unloads fly to him and he won’t be running away and just keep doing that and you will knock him or her out, they need a LOT of narcotics, hundreds really, and you can search for prime but leave the tapejara and put him on neutral so it can protect the quatzal, the quatzal is also nicknamed “lord of the skies” because he is the only flying Dino that can hold a platform saddle on the island map.
God damn these things need to touch grass
The fun way is to jump off and grapple to your argie and whistle it to attack and since argies are slow it won’t catch up in time so tranq till it goes out also bring parachutes and consider liking so more people will know
Idk why everyone makes this so complicated with all the grappling stuff all you have to do is,
1. Get or use a tapejara that’s a low level with a couple levels into movement speed
2. Get a rifle or crossbow with either darts or tranqs
3. Find a quetzal and then go to the back of your tapejara and set to attack the quetzal
(Since quetzals have high health and ur using a low level tapejara you can actually leave the tapejara to attack the quetzal, it’ll be fine)
4. Knock It out, not over water, and put whatever you want into it and ban you have a quetzal
Btw, you don’t need to worry about the tapejara’s stamina, it doesn’t decrease while you sit in the back seat
You can just bet gun it and if there are a few of you, you can easily knock it out but if your in single then I recommend using the tapejera method which is also really efficient if there’s a few of you as you can easily take some low level tapejera and shoot off the back of it 10/10 recommend. Consider upping it for more people to see?
If you drop a quetzal due to knockout, and it lands next to a giga...just know, the quetzal belong to the giga. Now you get to watch your would be quetzal get eaten by a giga. Now you can go home and cry.
Guys this is the ersieht was to tame a quetzal. All you need is a tapejara.
1) Whisle your Tapejara to follow you
2) Ride you Tapejara and surch for a quetzal
3) When you found a quetzal, go an the back of the Tapejara (dont forget that you have to make the follow whisle on Tapejara, otherwise the will Flyer to the ground)
4) Make the attack whisle while you are on the Tapejata's back, so your tapejara will follow the quetzal.
5) Just shoot the quetzal with tranq darts/arrow and make the passive whisle on the Tapejara when he is too close to the Quetzal.
6) Repeat that till the quetzal gets knocked out and enjoy your quetzal taming.
TIPP: They spawn near the Obelisk and fly trought the whole map after spawning. GOOD LUCK!
If you see a a lvl 10 or 20, and if you are only on 40 lvl with pterenedon and parachutes, jumb right above quetzal and hit at least 2 arrows each time. It will be k.o. in 10 to 20 arrows for real.
Or you can level up and use grappling hook. Take a pterenedon with low attack and high stamina, put some Wight on pterenedon to make it's speed same as quetzal. (Test it before flying by calling via whistle). Go above quetzal , open parachute and use grappling hook. Set the quetzal as target and you can change arrows to tranq and k.o. quetzal.
Keep your weight low only keep kibbles bio and tranq arrow in inventory and maybe some spikes in pterenedon because it may be slow when it is carrying you but once you choose quetzal as a target it will run neglacting your weight.
Tamed it with cooked fish meat and missed my girlfriend's birthday and our wedding.
Net it, tranq it, find and kill an ovis, then come back to find it was killed by a compy