Lengthy read, but this will dramatically help out all survivors just starting out with the ultimate goal getting a wyvern. This will make your experience much easier in many ways...
1) Locate a decent leveled Ptera, bola it for easy taming, and pump all points into stamina. (this is strictly to help mobility across the maps)
2) Upload ptera (and don't forget to take the saddle off), travel to Crystal Isles, find a drop or Ob, and download your ptera again, and travel to the desert. There's a "griffin scar" that's hard to miss.
3) Build a griffin trap made of 5-6 stone dino gates with doors on both sides and open the one closest to the griffin trench. Find a good level, get it's attention, and kite it into the trap. This is honestly the hardest step as they can hit like a truck early game and their turn radius is quite wide. Once trapped and knocked out, find an ovis south or southeast of the trench and wait for the starve timer to drop down. Slaughter the ovis and tame the griffin. Congratulations, your ptera is now obsolete. Practice dive bombing and level up stamina to at least 1500.
4) I suggest Ragnarok to start egg diving. Initially, dive into the wyvern trench with the sole purpose of gaining aggro from as many wyverns in one swoop as you can then fly up to the ceiling with wyverns in pursuit. As the wyverns finally catch up with you, dive past them back to the ground. If done fast enough, the aggroed wyverns will de-render and disappear, leaving the nests you dived past unguarded. Grab an egg, and repeat until you find one you want. Eat eggs you don't want. Don't ignore them or drop them. That's like leaving wood in beaver dams. Don't be that guy please.
5) Use standing torches or A/C units to incubate and hatch.
6) To get milk for feeding and imprints, you need to find a female wyvern. Ideally a fire cause their range sucks with their breath attack. The lower level the better. Make a trap to kite them in using a stone behemoth gates in the exact same style as your griffin trap. Knock them out with a longneck with tranq darts or crossbow with tranq arrows. Once they are knocked out grab the milk in their inventory and get back to your baby as soon as possible. Preserving salts in your inventory will double the short spoil timer but you still need to hurry just in case. Store excess milk and preserving salts in a preserving bin. Practice this process as it's always better to have more milk than not enough.
7) Raise to maturity. You can use cryo pods to avoid leaving them unattended when you're not around. Pro tip: If you cryo your baby when it wants milk and you don't have any, release them again and their desired imprint may change.
Lengthy as I said, but follow this to the letter and you'll be get baby wyverns potentially within a day or two. Happy hunting survivors.
To have your own wyvern you need to steal its egg, so there is a few things you need to have to go for a wyvern egg:
1. You need a flying dino that is fast and has decent stamina.
2. Locate the wyverns’ cave in any map you play (Ragnarok, Valguero, Scorched Earth, etc.).
3. Go near the cave and stop to regenerate stamina.
4. Try to see hoy many adult wyverns are flying around the cave. If there are too many you don’t have many chances to successfully steal an egg
5. When you are ready, fly into the cave and take the egg (I recommend to take the first one you see, because if you stay too long inside the cave, wyverns might kill you).
6. FLY AS FAST AS YOU CAN TO GET OUT OF THE CAVE.
7. If you can get out alive, you have made the hardest part, but you have still work to do.
8. When you arrive your base, put down and light around 10 or 15 torches in a circle, and place the egg in the middle.
9. Wait for it to hatch.
10. When the egg hatches, you will have to take care of the wyvern until it grows. You have to do the things that the wyvern asks you to do. The hardest one is to give it wyvern milk. To acquire this you need to knock out an adult wyvern or kill an Alfa. BUT THERE IS A MUCH EASIER WAY. If you have cryopods, try taking your wyvern in the cryopod and then let it out. Sometimes it changes the thing that the baby is asking for.
11. Keep doing the things that your wyvern wants until it grows.
I tamed a 150 perfect argy, beefed him up to 20k health and 800% damage, straight up yoinked a level 165 wyvern egg(which i didn’t know existed, thought it went it 150), annihilated all the angry losers, hatched it, forgot I needed milk and it died, don’t be me
I got a level 150 lightning egg and I was so excited to hatch the egg...that when I went to put the egg down I accidentally ate it instead. :( ps4 users: R2 ISN'T GONNA DROP THE EGG YOU'RE GONNA EAT IT LIKE ANY OTHER EGG. REMEMBER THIS. LOGIC BEFORE EXCITMENT.
On Fjordur, the easiest way to steal any type of egg is to land in one of the nests with a flyer. Then start up the teleporting thing to wherever is safe enough for u to get away. Then grab the egg right before the teleportation sphere closes. And obviously be careful not to alert any wyverns before landing in their nest. Hope this helps :)
You can raise a wyverns without any milk. Tame a Daedon to heal the wyvern so it won’t die from hunger, and if you want full imprinting just put it in a cryopod then throw it back out if it asks for milk, that will change what they want
Pro tip for Ragnarok, do NOT waste your time in the trench. There are many MANY wyverns there and it is much harder to lose them. Instead go to the south center of the map next to the desert and go into the wyvern cave. Coming from the south, it’s to the left of a waterfall just behind a rock (you’ll have to fly low to the water to get in. Once inside, stay out of the aggro range of the wyverns by the entrance and aim for the large pillar in the center. You’ll find all of the nests in this center area and if you got past the wyverns at the entrance, you have time to check the eggs and find your desired level & type. Once you have it, fly back to the entrance of the cave, and make your escape.
The escape is quite simple, once out of the cave, go straight up the waterfall and into the small cave where the stream is flowing. Follow that stream to the exit of the small cave and make your escape. You may also use this cave to enter the trench largely undetected (this is what I do).
Once you have the egg, you can either trap a female, narc it, and get milk. Or you can do it the easy way and cryo the baby when it asks for milk, which will reset what it asks for.
*NOTE: I go completely naked on a throwaway Pteranadon with AT LEAST 450 stamina. Usually I don’t even get hit because I use the C Spin to get back out of the wyvern cave, but you’ll want that stamina to ensure the longest flight time possible and a safe getaway*
Hope someone finds this helpful! I know I would have.