1. Build a taming pen, 1 foundation 4 door frames
2. Get him in there. (Argi works well)
3. Feed him once.
4. Go do some other stuff (Food will drop now)
5. Come back and feed him crouching trough the door frame. He will not agro.
6. Enjoy your new best friend.
It literally only took me an hour to tame a level 145 with only 50 mejoberries.
1. Gather berries and put the berries in your last slot
2. Kneel down and walk up to one of them and feed it the berries
3. Now you just follow it around while kneeling down and feeding it berries whenever it's hungry
4. Congratulations you tamed one.
Since they're commonly found in the red wood forest, I recommend only taming one if you're close to water as if you get attacked by something you can jump into the water to get away. Then when you think it's safe just go find your monkey and go back to following/feeding it.